Regular readers will know that we retain a fondness for all things Blackberry. With the release of the KEYone - we thought it worthwhile to give a brief review.
- Since it uses a microSD card you can have any amount of storage up to the maximum supported by the standard, at the moment the standard supports 2TB but the largest card we found to buy was 200GB.
- It's not an iDevice.
- The old content transfer app won't allow you to save to the SD card and then swap the card, everything has to go via Google cloud.
- It's not running BB10 OS.
- The USB drivers for Mac and Windows don't seem to be available:
- http://www.blackberrymobile.com/support/search/?key_words=usb+driver returns no results
- For Windows https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do will bring drivers version 18.104.22.168 ==>THESE DO NOT WORK. They work with PRIV but not KEYone.
- For Mac will bring drivers version 22.214.171.124 ==>THESE DO NOT WORK. They work with PRIV but not KEYone.
So, if Blackberry and their partner TCL could sort out the drivers issue quickly that would be good.
UPDATE 30th July 2017. On a whim tried to download these drivers and re-install. These drivers now work on Windows and OSX (Win10, OSX Sierra 10.12.6). So tethering is back on, rather than having to use a Wifi hotspot.